ASN Morning Read: N.Y. Times Covers the Red Bulls!
A derby in New York City catches the eye of the most prominent paper in the United States. Other MLS matches on tap fall a bit short, but hey, at least we have the Gold Cup roster to get excited about.
BY John Godfrey Posted
June 23, 2017
June 23, 2017
- Long-suffering New York Red Bulls fans will be thrilled to see a New York Times feature on Mike Grella New York soccer cult heros in the build-up to Saturday's clash with New York City FC. In case you weren't aware, aggrieved fans of the New Jersey-based franchise feel they are woefully underrepresented by the local media. Will the Gray Lady commit column inches to a match report of the contest? We shall see....
- It's Rivalry Week in Major League Soccer as Don Garber's operation looks to build a bit of buzz between the two World Cup Qualifiers earlier this month and the Gold Cup, which begins in July. FC Dallas plays Houston, which is legit. Seattle vs. Portland—fine. And the New York derby, sure. But the rest of those contests are a bit bland for the neutral soccer fan.
- Some people still think that Pro/Rel will happen in the United States soccer community. Those people are wrong.
- What will happen, likely Sunday? Bruce Arena's 23-man roster for the Group Stages of the Gold Cup will be released, probably with a friendly, in-house "interview" full of softball questions about his selections. You can get the jump on Bruce right now by creating your own roster.
- The winner of the 2017 Gold Cup has a 50% chance of playing in the 2023 Confederations Cup in Qatar. There's a pretty interesting Confed Cup match tomorrow, as Mexico takes on the host nation.